Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if my instrument needs repair?
Make Mr. Hamilton aware of the broken instrument. He will determine if it can be fixed by a director or if it needs to be sent to a music store for repair. Parents can take the instrument to a local repair shop, or have the repair person pick up the instrument from the school. Parents are financially responsible for all instrument repairs. Your contact information will be given to the repair person when your instrument is picked up at the school.

Where do I buy supplies and accessories for my instrument?
Simple supplies such as reeds and valve oil can be purchased from any band director. Major accessories can be purchased at one of our local music stores: Award Music, McKay Music

What kind of reeds does my student need?
Beginner woodwind players need Vandoren 2 1/2 reeds for their instrument. All other middle school woodwind players need Vandoren 3 reeds for their instrument. Some beginner players are ready to move to Vandoren 3’s before the end of their first school year. Oboe players need medium soft reeds. All woodwind players should have a good supply of reeds at all times.

What do I do if I’m new to band?
Welcome to Crandall Band! If this is your first experience in band, you’ll need to get an instrument. Your band director will consult you on what instrument(s) will be best suited for you. When it comes time to purchase your instrument, be sure to refer to this list. You will also need the Essential Elements 2000 Book 1 for your instrument.